- "Acquire all items on the Potty-Training Essentials list ( potty chair, baby doll that wets, doll underwear, training pants, disposable pull-ups, big-kid underwear, potty chart, flushable wet wipes, waterproof mattress covers, waterproof blanket)
- Purchase the items on your chosen party theme list (I think our theme will either be "spiderman scooters" or "super dinosaurs.")
- Buy and wrap a present for yourself that you really want (totally on board with this one).
- Wrap the doll.
- Wrap and hide your child's big-kid underwear.
- Cut fabric or alter big-kid underwear to make a dozen big-kid underpants for the doll--these underpants should match or have the same theme as your child's big-kid underwear.
- Place the potty-chair in the bathroom.
- Decorate the bathroom and party room with the chosen theme.
- Wrap party prizes.
- Wrap your child's Grand Finale Big Kid Celebration gifts from you and your family members.
- Prepare a variety of enticing bite-size treats.
- Stash a handful of potty-training books in the bathroom and a handful in the party room.
- Stack the potty training videos next to the VCR.
- Purchase a variety of drinks and prepare ingredients to make fruit smoothies .
- Place the waterproof blanket or rug on the sofa in the party room."
I estimate that this potty party will cost me about $500 and will take about six months to prepare for. I think I'd rather change disgusting underpants for the next six months than spend the time sewing tiny doll-sized spiderman underwear and acquiring potty videos and books by the handfuls. I do like her idea of buying myself a "present that I really want," but do I really have to wrap it?
I also worry a little about post-potty-party letdown. I'm not sure I can maintain the potty joie de vivre for the time it will take to make this no diapers thing a reality. The author recommends having a "potty parade" the day after the potty party. I guess I will consider that option. I don't know...there has to be an easier way. Right? I have a few more minutes left before I have to go pick the kids up from preschool...just enough time to run to Target to pick up some more diapers and wipes for Charlie. Or I could use the time to study up on potty party themes and surf the web for places to buy a waterproof blanket. Stay tuned and I'll let you know which way I decide to go...