Thursday, February 21, 2008

Child's Play


I just heard this story on NPR after dropping off my kids at preschool. I had what NPR often refers to as a "driveway moment" where I sat in my driveway and listened to the whole story (using up precious kid-free minutes). It's a really interesting piece about how children's play has changed since the inception of television and toy advertising over 50 years ago. Click on over to read/listen to the story. It turns out that when my kids are using whisks and a laundry basket to play pirate ship, they are really learning self-regulation. Who knew?

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

It's so nice to hear that fighting to protect children's free time is worth it. It's not easy to do as they get older, but now I have another reason to keep it up. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I heard that same thing on my way to work this morning on NPR and thought it was so interesting and true....another good reason to let kids be kids and not push so much!!!!